District Medical and Health Officer
Each of the 7 districts in Meghalaya has an office of the District Medical and Health Officer (DMHO) who is also known as the Civil Surgeon. The office of the DMHO is responsible for overseeing the health related activities within the district. The District Medical and Health Officer and the Additional District Medical and Health Officer also act as the District Registrar and the Additional District Registrar for births and deaths. The main roles and responsibilities of the office are mentioned below:
- Registration of births and deaths within the district.
- Implementation and monitoring of different health programmes within the district.
- Providing guidance and assistance to officers and staff of health institutions under the District Medical and Health Officer Office.
- Liaising with other district authorities and also higher authorities in health aspects.
- Administrative Duties.
- Drawing and disbursing of salaries for health personnel within the district.
- Other duties and responsibilities as and when required in connection with the health programmes in the district.